Self-reflection of a personal perspective on a topic. Gettink to know different perspectives.
- Preparation: A poster with the word "DEMOCRACY" in the center and a circle around it.
- The facilitator asks to answering the question "What does democracy mean for me personally, what is my relation, am I far away from the center of the term, near or very close?" [5 minutes]
- Participants answer, showing on the poster, where they'd like to locate themselves and place a individual symbol on the poster. They might explain their attitude.
- Generally the facilitators and other participants are not allowed to give comments or to evaluate the statements. The method should be conducted quite fast [30 minutes]
- The facilitator focuses on a short analysis of the tendencies in the the group and paraphrazes the reasons for the participants' decisions. [20 minutes]
Alternatively you can chose other words than "democracy", like Europe, nation, involvement...
A good step into the topic. Be aware that often a sceptical and critical attitude comes at first. Prevent to comment this or to intervene.